- First, Carnival is spelled Carnaval in Spanish, woops. Should have caught that before the paper went to press. Screw it, it's an English paper.
- Next, if the police catch you after you have sprayed them with water, they DO actually throw you in jail. Just ask Franz at the Surf Shack in Canoa.
- A 20 lb. Mahi Mahi that will feed 30 people costs 30 dollars.
- Phosphorescence in the ocean at night is one of the most FUCKING COOL THINGS you will ever see.
- Pina Coladas are best made with fresh coconuts, fresh pineapples, and copious amounts of rum. The rum does not have to be fresh.
- A dixie-horn attached to an F250 Lariatt Edition with dual-exhaust headers attracts plenty of attention as it is driven through the countryside of Ecuador.
- And, when hiring a launch to take 20 gallons of diesel out to a stranded yacht from Panama, it's best if said F250 has a winch with which to pull the boat down to the beach during low tide.
- I will GREATLY miss my friends in Canoa when we move to Turkey
- It is much more styleee to arrive at your beach house after being picked up (by said missed friends) in a de-roofed 1974 Land Rover driven on the beach, than by taxi on the road.
- I like Yonder Mountain String Band at loud volumes much more than I like Reggaton at loud volumes.
- Plane tickets for Carnaval should be bought well-in-advance
- And, below, the movies I promised in the article...
Roof-top Chiva action during the Fiestas De Quito:
As I said, for fear of legal repercussions, there are no movies of squirting police officers with water, but here's a photo of the infamous "espuma" or foam of Carnaval.