Saturday, November 10, 2007

Generator

At a party a few months ago, I made an unexpected discovery. In a country known more for Salsa and Reggaton, I stumbled into an Ecuadorian with a Rancid shirt on. Rancid is one of my favorite punk bands from California, and though they are relatively well known, even in the states fellow Rancid fans give each other a knowing nod of the head....cause there aren't that many of us...


So, I was especially astounded to find a Rancid fan in my first month of living in Quito. It turned out that we had more than Rancid in common, we immediately ran down a list of punk bands, nodding in affirmation of each others taste.

David, as my new found amigo is known as, also introduced me to his brother, Mario, as one of the best drummer's in Quito. Turns out these guys, unlike me, walk there talk. They play in a punk band called Edicion Limitado. David and Mario are rabid punk rock fans. When David was in school in the states, he and his brother followed the Warped Tour as if they were the Grateful Dead, they drove 8 hours here in Ecuador for a rare treat, a NOFX show in the coastal town of Guayaquil....and their CD and DVD collection is as rare as Swiss Cheese here in Ecuador.

They played a show last week at the pizza joint/bar next door to us. They don't have a bass player, can't keep one, not enough punk rock interest in this town of Salsa-Swinin'-Hips. As they intro'ed with a song just for me, Generator by Bad Religion, I thought to myself, is this finally time to pick up a four stringed instrument again? It would set me up perfectly for one of those stories for the Grandkids when I'm 80 and drooling on myself in my lazy-boy:

"Did I ever tell you little know-it-all shits the time Grandpa played bass in an Ecuadorian punk band?"


----------------
Now playing: Pennywise - God Save The USA
via FoxyTunes
----------------
Now playing: Bad Religion - Positive Aspect Of Negative Thinking
via FoxyTunes
----------------

Now playing: Fugazi - Forensic Scene
via FoxyTunes
----------------
Now playing: Rancid - Brad Logan
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

-g. said...

man i miss you guys. i'm so glad you are tearing it up. i got the full clearance finally! doc kelly says it's o.k. to ski. now we just need the snow to come back. keep up the good work down there. hope to see you both soon.

-g.

-g. said...

man i miss you guys. so stoked you are having a blast and punking out. foolish children.

i got the clearance finally. doc kelly says i get to ski this season! now we just need the snow to come back and i'll be dropping the knee. (different than lifting the leg.)

so yeah can't wait to see you guys. my horizon is still a little foggy but hopefully southbound soon.
ciao amigos.
suerte.

g.